Guest blog by Liz Taylor from The Taylor Lynn Corporation (TLC)
A Rock Star event planner should never sing the party blues. Psychic I am not, but as far as sunshine goes, I think it is safe to say that all our outdoor events this year are not likely to be bathed in endless sunlight. The only predictable thing about the weather is that we all know it can be shockingly unpredictable!
Here are my top ten tips on beating the British weather with your next outdoor event.
- If you are using a marquee, make sure that your hire company conduct a rigorous site visit before the event. Discuss with them the suitability of your chosen area, as you may find that the idyllic spot that you have in mind is on ground liable to flood if there was a downpour.
- Choose your marquee flooring wisely – moisture can seep through, so consult your suppliers and opt for something robust and that is insulated – you don’t want a waterlogged dance floor to scupper any killer moves!
- If you are erecting marquees and providing portable bathrooms, ensure that you create paths between them that are canopied, should it rain, or provide shade if it’s hot. Make these paths part of your décor, with branding and lighting.
- TLC insists that all the venues we use have in built air conditioning and heating systems to allow us to adapt the temperature inside depending on the weather.
- For outdoor wet weather, such as festivals, tipis or garden parties, beat the weather blues with corporate branded wellies! We’ve never had any returned yet!
- Likewise, umbrellas – have bespoke brollies or summer parasols created for the party, which will provide some fun, shade and a great take-home gift for guests. Providing someone to escort guests from cars, under cover of a brolly or golf carts, helps too, especially if the parking is a long walk from the party!
- In extreme heat (well there is a chance in the UK!) serve plenty of iced water in funky coloured bottles and hand round iced towels for guests to freshen up with. Iced glasses of homemade lemonade or mini fruit iced lollies go down a treat, especially, vodka or Pimms lollies for the adult. This helps to beat the weather blues in style!
- Consider cool-air systems in your marquee and plenty of shaded options on the lawn – covered terraces, yurts and canopies.
- For cooler days, go for a variation on warm ‘mulled’ wine or even mugs of hot chocolate are popular, and we are serving lots of mini handmade pies in individual dishes this year, duos of soups in one bowl and lovely sticky pudds with individual jugs of custard. Traditional and popular.
- Think lighter options with a cold starter and dessert for the warm weather – serve a chilled cocktail on arrival or, as is popular in Mediterranean countries, offer guests a glass of good chilled red or rose wine. Mini artisan ice cream cone canapes are fabulous, or have an ice cream van at your reception – vintage and popular with the children.
One thing is for sure though, as a seasoned event organiser and someone who plans meticulously to beat weather event blues, my motto has always been ‘We’ll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not!
If you enjoyed reading about how to beat the weather blues, then why not look at Liz Taylor’s own brand of spectacular ‘rock star’ events at www.tlc-ltd.co.uk and follow her on Twitter @Taylorlynncorp.